♡ deedee-licious ☆ food i eat ☆ things i do ☆ people i adore ♡

13 April 2013

Herd instinct

I live in a 'kiasu' society, where success is based on achievements. Values pale in comparison and often, parents ditch teaching values such as responsibility, integrity, compassion, etc and even basic manners, to make way for more tuitions and enrichment programmes. Kids are taught to score well in exams instead of told to shine in their own unique ways. I totally abhor the elitist mindset that is in many people around us, but it's difficult to resist the Singaporean herd instinct. Will I end up like most of the other parents, and give in to sending the child for all kinds of enrichment classes, thus cutting her childhood short?

I'm thinking very deep now, and truly wondering how I want my child to grow up. On one hand I want my girl to enjoy childhood like how I had… on the other hand, I’m so afraid that she’ll lose out in a society where most other kids are sent to classes to score well since a tender age. I wanted to use "hate" but I guess it's a very strong word to use here... so I'll just say, this "herd instinct" that's happening here, driving the fees of enrichments classes up and tuition centres multiply fast... well, I don't like it a lot. I don't like it at all. I wish I'll be as bold as Prof Pamela Lim. Unlike her, I've taken the most boring and safest route in life - study, go to university, get employed, get married, get a kid and maybe two - thus I'm not sure if it's safe to venture away from this path. I need to give my child a chance to breathe in our uptight society, and let her shine in her own ways.

I'm writing in response to this post on Facebook and sharing this post here to all the parents around the world.

2 comments:

jOleently said...

I am in the same plight as u... while I can see the true joy on her face and I reminded her almost daily that she got nothing to lose as she dont have to go school like kids of her age.

On the other hand, I am worried if I have taught her enough to keep on par with her peers...

this somehow put me into the Kiasu league... =(

deedee said...

Sigh... Joleen I totally understand, we are in the same plight indeed...